Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any comments to my first post here.
This is going to be looooong to introduce myself and hopefully address several things in one post so you know what my intentions are and what I have already learned.
I am considering the purchase of a 42 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. This truck is a 20+ year old school rod with a 327/400TH, rear end is unknown at this time. This truck DOES NOT have PS, PB, A/C, tilt, cruise, turn signals, and the frame is original.
I have not yet seen the truck in person but hope to soon. I do have a few so-so pictures of it.
I have posted on stovebolt.com but it appears that MOST of the members there are OEM guys with little interest in street rods.
I plan to use this truck (or another as I am not locked in on this particular truck) as a replacement for my 1997 Chevy 2500 that I use for general hauling use and to tow my 24' enclosed car trailer. My desires are for a 37-57 model with Chevy being the first choice but am opened to Dodge and Ford.
For this or any other classic truck I buy I know that if it is not already done, I will have to beef up the frame, install an electric brake controller, and use a load equalizer hitch system at a minimum. I will want PS and PB as well as a tilt wheel, cruise, turn signals, A/C, and nice sound system.
I have been looking around at dfferent sites of suppliers for steering columns, A/C, etc. but still have some questions.
So far I have learned that the rear end of this truck supposedly would have had to have had the rear end changed since it has a 400TH trans that is not compatable with a 42 rear end/driveshaft. If so I expect that if it has a 3.08 or 3.55 rear end it will work for me.
1. What is the power steering box of choice for and aftermarket steering colum such as an Ididit?
2. What is the power brake/dual master cylinder unit of choice?
3. Are there any competitors for Vintage A/C out there?
4. Anybody have any idea what type of late model leather seats will work well with a truck like this? Tahoe, etc, etc?
5. Now, I KNOW this is a stretch, BUT any input on the value of this 1942 1/2 ton pick up in it's current condition? If I can figure out how to attach the pictures I have, you will then know as much about it as I do. I have a lot of old car knowledge but street rods are very subjective and a matter of personal choice. I am just looking for info so I don't start out with too much invested in the basic truck and get to buried in it from the get go. I am not interested in building a truck from the ground up and DON'T want one that needs paint. I want something that is drivable but MAY need some added equipment for my personal needs.
BTW, here is a list of some of the more notable of approximately 150 cars I have owned in the last 40 years so you will have a better picture of me.
1936 Dodge pick-up street rod
1956 Cadillac dual quad car
1957 Corvette FIRST factory FI car, air box car, HD brakes suspension, MULE car for the Sebring racers
1958 Corvette 283, 3 speed
1958 Corvette factory FI, 290 h.p. 4 speed, PW, PT, 3.73 gears
1961 283 Corvette 4 speed
1962 Impala SS 327, auto
1963 Impala SS 409/409, 4 speed
1963 Avanti, factory supercharger, 4 speed, PW
1964 Impala SS 409/340, auto
1964 Falcon Sprint convert., 4 speed 260 engine
1964 Corvette convert, auto, factory A/C
1965 Barracuda 273, auto
1965 Griffith 289 hipo 4 speed
1965 Impala SS 396, auto, convert
1965 Corvette 327/300 Auto, A/C, PS, PDB, PW
1965 Corvette 327/365 4 speed 3.31 gears
1966 Mustang 2+2, GT, 289 hipo, 4 speed
1966 Corvette 427/390 4 speed, PS, PDB, PW, A/C
1966 Corvette 327/300, 4 speed, PS, PDB, PW, A/C
1966 Hemi Coronet 4 speed
1967 GTX convert., 440 auto
1967 Coronet R/T 440, auto
1968 Corvette 427/435 4speed
1968 Corvette 427/390 convert, 4 speed
1968 GTX Hemi, auto
1968 Charger R/T Hemi auto, all options except PW and rear speaker
1968 Dart GTS 340, auto
1968 Dart GTS 340 4 speed
1969 GTX convert, 440, 4 speed 3.54 gears
1969 AMX 390, 4 speed, 3.54 gears
1969 Charger R/T/SE, 440 4 speed, 3.54 gears
1969 six pack Super Bee 4 speed
1969 Road Runner 383 air grabber, 4 speed
1971 GT0 Judge 4 speed, convert 1 of 17
1970 Charger R/T 440, auto, A/C
1970 Super Bee 383 ram air auto
1970 Chevelle SS 454/450, auto
1970 Mustang Boss 302, 4 speed drag pack car
1970 Challenger 340, A66, 3 speed
1970 Javelin 360 ram air, auto
1970 Rebel 360 auto
1971 BMW Bavaria 4 speed
1971 Corvette 350 all options car
1973 Corvette 350 all options car
1978 Corvette L82, auto, all options
1985 Corvette 350, 4+ 3 trans, all options
1987 Corvette 350, 4+ 3 trans, all options