broken easy-out

Street Rodder
Item Posts    Sort Order

broken easy-out

61ranchero 61ranchero
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/21/08
08:25 PM

I was replacing the sunvisor hardware from my convertible when I overtwisted one of the screws while taking it out. It broke off flush with the chrome over the top of the windshield. I drilled a small hole in the part that was still lodged in the car and attacked it with a small easy-out. Well there was nothing "easy" about this "out" and the easy-out snapped off. Now I need to find something to drill out the easy-out. I tryed to drill it with standard drills and they wander and cut into the chrome. Any suggestions? The sun is really bright.  

waynep712 waynep712
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 02/21/08
11:10 PM

theory... use easy outs when bolts are broken off from over tighening...

drill them out and use a carbide scribe to pick out the left over pieces and then retap the hole when the faster is wedged in.... or breaks coming out...

if the part is removable it can be taken to a tap removal expert... usually located in large citys with aircraft manufacturing contractors... the burn the tap/easy out  and any left over fastener out usually without messing up the threaded hole...

carbide drills are available in some better hardware stores and may be hard enough to drill through the broken easy out..  i would probably use a carbide scribe to work the easy out loose  then drill the fastener out...  and clean up the threads with a tap...

PLEASE use a faceshield and safety goggles that seal to your face to prevent tiny chips from getting in... and dust your self off before taking off the goggles ... carbide chips are non magnetic and are a terror to get removed from ones eyes...

removing broken off fastener is almost an art form...  and it is easy to screw up...  

IowaStreetRodder IowaStreetRodder
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/23/08
08:06 PM

I would use a left handed drill bit to drill the hole. Center punch the broken easy out to help with the drill bit wandering off the broken extractor. Start slow with drilling the hole. Once you have a hole started, then pick up speed, but too fast and you will break the bit or overheat it. Make sure you use a new bit! It will make the job a lot easier and less frustrating. Lawson Products makes a terrific extractor set! You can check them out at lawson.com or lawsonproducts.com. I think it is the latter one.  

Silverfox-uk Silverfox-uk
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/24/08
01:31 PM

Hi all, I recently had a similar problem with a broken M4 tap. I am assuming this would also work on an easy out as they are both hard and brittle.

I couldn't get the broken tap out so I thought I would burn out the tap and open up the hole with the plasma cutter and then fit a slug and drill and tap this. When I hit the tap with the plasma cutter it blew it straight out and even left the thread behind. Next to no damage was done to the surrounding metal. Short sharp bursts of the plasma seem to work best.  

IowaStreetRodder IowaStreetRodder
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/24/08
02:37 PM

This is inside his finished car the way I read it. I don't think he wants to catch the interior on fire!