Newsletter

64 Impala and a 67 Galaxie are STREET RODS?????????

Street Rodder
Item Posts    Sort Order

64 Impala and a 67 Galaxie are STREET RODS?????????

BlownTex BlownTex
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/15/08
05:20 AM

Confused  if I wanted to see an Impala or Galaxie I'd buy Custom Rodder or Hot Rod.  Please keep that stuff out of Street Rodder.  Frown  

Burtreyn0lds Burtreyn0lds
User | Posts: 113 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 02/15/08
11:46 AM

I was more shocked about the '67 galaxie then the impala, the thing that strikes me is they aren't even really customs, they look like they could ahve come out of one of the muscle car magazines  

53Merc 53Merc
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/16/08
11:26 AM

In this case, I agree. It is nice to see post 48 cars but these 2 are too belly button.  Please stick to more unusual 50-60's examples.  

Burtreyn0lds Burtreyn0lds
User | Posts: 113 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 02/20/08
04:20 PM

yeah, I can go for more the full size cars, but they crossed a line  

IowaStreetRodder IowaStreetRodder
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/20/08
05:38 PM

I understand where you fellas are coming from, but let's remember that we all have a passion for cars. I currently own a 65 Impala that I am doing a frame off restoration on and while it doesn't fit your 40's and earlier criteria for a street rod, it is a street rod to me. I have owned a 37 Chevy 2 door coupe and am purchasing a 53 plymouth 2 door coupe and 37 Dodge 2 door coupe to start on next. Let's not put down such a fantastic magazine just because they share a couple of cars that do not fit your particular criteria. Perhaps that is all the two owners have. My guess is they enjoy them every bit as much as you all do with your vehicles. Would you ask for a different spot at a car show just because your car was parked next to one of these classic vehicles? I would hope not! Can't we all enjoy our cars together, regardless of make, model and year?  

53Merc 53Merc
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/21/08
06:16 PM

Well stated!  My critisim isn't of the cars or the owners.  It is of the magazine's choice of the cars.  When Street Rodder chose to include later models I thought it was a good idea. They said they weren't going to feature the "usual Chevelles and Mustangs" but more unusual examples of post '48. A 53 Plymouth or a 53 Merc would be good examples.  A 65 Impala not. And I also owned, restored, modified, raced and enjoyed a 65 Impala. The Impalas, the 64 Chevs and 67 Fords are more "at home" in Car Craft. Street Rodder is more about what rodding was when the hobby was younger. The fifties, Sixties and Seventies.
My 2 cents worth.;  

ekimball ekimball
Enthusiast | Posts: 344 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 02/22/08
04:15 PM

Completely understandable, but I do enjoy seeing the '60s fullsize cars in Street Rodder - heck, I enjoy seeing most any well done Detroit Iron!  

carmanss carmanss
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/23/08
03:00 PM

Smirk as one of the postings said that he'd buy Custom Rodder or Hot Rod if he wanted to see an Impala or a Galaxie.  Well I think part of the issue here is that is no more Custom Rodder at least in print anyway.  It has ended, although it is still on line.  So, with that said, I own a 67 Impala, and while I would NEVER expect to see it in Street Rodder, However, I was very depressed when I read my last issue of Custom Rodder.  I would hope that at a show such as Good Guys or some NSRA events where they cater to up to 1972, that a street rod pre 1949 would not seek another parking spot just because I have a car from the late 60's.  I 'm like most folks I love all american cars pre 1973.  And if you'll remember Hot Rod has had Honda's in their mag...come on guys the galaxie and the impala are legends in their own rights just like pre 1949 street rods...At least they aren't putting foreign cars in Street Rodder.  

IowaStreetRodder IowaStreetRodder
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/23/08
07:46 PM

AMEN!  

ekimball ekimball
Posted: 02/25/08
02:13 PM

Custom Rodder was also one of my favorite magazines that I worked with. But I guess that makes sense, because I love Customs more then anything else.  

Travst Travst
New User | Posts: 23 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 04/03/08
08:44 AM

I own and drive a custom (I guess that's where a '62 rodded Jag belongs) but I certainly understand people who want to keep Street Rodder focused on pre-49 rods.  Personally, I'd prefer it that way myself.  Now, if Street Rodder can include a few customs without giving up any pages (i.e. expand) I guess I'm ok with that.

I've always felt like a bastard child in the custom car scene.  When I only drove Vettes, I knew where I fit.  When I played with Triumphs, I knew where to go.    Harleys, easy.  If I had a pre-49, I'd fit in street rodding.  Because of the car I have now, it seems sometimes that I'm not truly accepted with the pre-49 rods... the Jaguar enthusiasts hate my guts because instead of faithfully restoring the rotten hulk I bought (sans engine and many, many parts), I rodded it... and there aren't enough customs here to do much with.

I've been a loyal reader since I got out of the service in the 80's, and I get more out of Street Rodder than any other magazine.  Fortunately, they keep selling me subscriptions even though I drive a custom.  And a foreign one at that!  
Take my advice... don't take my advice.

ekimball ekimball
Posted: 04/04/08
10:32 AM

Well i'm glad you are still reading!  

cmyhtrod cmyhtrod
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/17/09
01:17 PM

I really enjoy the GoodGuys Shows because of the diversity of the cars, where else are you going to see a '65 Datsun sedan with a small block chevy next to a big block Packard 5 passenger coupe in the same row as a T bucket?

That said, I buy Street Rodder for street rods, not used cars. In my narrow mind, anything newer than 1955 is a used car. Im being generous here 'cause I know a lot of guys feel it should be 1948. If I want used cars I get Hot Rod or some other publication.

I understand the thinking behind the newer cars in Street Rodder and I guess they figure they have to tailor the magazine for the most sales. But, Im not happy about it.  

GMRodder GMRodder
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/27/10
06:33 PM

I suppose it is what you believe is a street rod.  For the last fifty years, a street rod was a straight axled car, a hot rod was a pre-ww2 Ford hopped up, a custom car was a modified street car and a muscle car was a factory performance car from 1964 to 1972.  I have seen people's definitions change in the last fifty years, I know other forums have definite views about this and will blatantly let you know.  I still think my thinking is close to what the real truth is.  But with the m2 front ends the straight axle is going out of favor. JMHO