steering upgrade on a 1939 GMC pickup

Street Rodder
Item Posts    Sort Order

steering upgrade on a 1939 GMC pickup

lablover lablover
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/06/10
09:11 AM

I have a 1937 GMC pickup with the factory steering/front end. I want to upgrade to a mustang II front end. I have a Mustang II front end assembly but, embrassingly, do not remember it's year.
First question is: How can I determine the Mustang II's year?
Second question is: This is more of a request than a question. I would like a pretty specific. step by step set of instructions on what ALL I need to do the swap. Form jacking up the truck and taking off the tires to the steps in getting the Mustang's front end ready to swap in, to the swap itself to replacing the tires and letting it off the jack to firing up the truck and driving off into the sunset being able to make the ol' girl turn where I want it to go. I also have a couple of steering columns (again do not remember the years but do know that they are GM car columns) that I would like to include in this process.
I know that this is a pretty big question to post but I do need alot of help!!!!!
Thanks for your time and trouble. I look forward to your replies.
Lablover  

sunsetdart sunsetdart
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 07/10/10
08:09 AM

I will tell you that it's not just a bolt in thing. getting correct ride height is critical . That means removing the spring in the front end and replacing with a strut rod. Then making sure you have the right caster/camber on the front A-arms.Also keeping in mind the wheelbase that must be correct for the year of the truck.  If you have never done this beofre, which I gather you haven't , I highly suggest either getting a knowledgable person to help or having someone else do it for you.