1947 dodge trans change

Street Rodder
Item Posts    Sort Order

1947 dodge trans change

flathead6 flathead6
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/30/12
09:10 AM

please won't someone help me.I finally got my cool old car a 1947 dodge 4 door maybe it's not a deuce or merc but it is mine.all original,ride and drive,including fluid drive which is where my prob's begin, though fully operable is not useful in modern times.What I want to do is change the trans to a modern OD unit ie,5 speed standard from a dakota,maybe?or a ranger?I want to keep my original flathead 6,so please no suggestion's of a 350 combo.Which would be easier and cheaper?Cheaper being the key word.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 05/03/12
06:42 AM

hmm... seems that wilcap makes the adaptors to go to a gm bolt pattern transmission.. so that opens up the universe to you ...

http://www.wilcap.com/chryslerfh.html

why.. does it open the universe...   powerglides.. th350/400s,  200R4, 700R4, 4l60E, 4l80E  and then there are even 6 speed variants of the 4l60E...

but..  you have all kinds of other options also.. do to the availability of bolt on bell housings for other models of automatics..

where even if they don't unbolt.. you can bolt the bell housing to the front pump after sawing off the cast as one piece bell housing..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
07:00 AM

but wait... you wanted to go to a stick shift transmission..  well..  i would probably venture a call to wilcap..  as they CNC these adaptor plates ..  perhaps they have enough info to customize one for a different brand bell housing..

you might also want to look over to something like a quicktime bellhousing.. with it's reduced shape verses a lakewood.. for something not as chevy on your dodge..

you also have the ability..  to creatively hide the adaptor plate in plain sight..  by creating a panel to match the back of your engine shape.. and having the adaptor aged... i would install bolts in all the threaded holes..    rounded tips on needle scaler pins.. could replicate the cast iron finish..  and with a paint job.. it might  vanish into the engine bay.. just don't modify the machined surface where the components bolt together.. just outside is the idea..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
07:02 AM

oh... this is a needle scaler.. HF has two models.. 45 and 20 bucks..

Image 11207  

ssj9662 ssj9662
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/17/12
08:33 PM

i REALLY DON'T KNOW OFF HAND WHAT WILL FIT BUT IF YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR OLD TRANSMISSION EMAIL ME :stanjanoski@gmail.com I have a 47 deluxe I use as a daily driver to work and I lost the hi gears. I am keeping mine OME. All the car and paint is still original down to the rubber front floor mat.(garaged from birth/ still in the family). She has been faithful all her life. Radio quit a few years ago. Laugh