Need Bulb advice

Street Rodder
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need Bulb advice

TDennis1846 TDennis1846
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/06/12
06:50 AM

Hello everyone, I am a new member from York PA.  I recently just purchased a 1937 Plymouth that needs some work.  When I got the car, the turn signals did not work at all.  I was able to track down that problem in the wiring and repair it but now I notice when I use the turn signals they blink so dimly that you cannot even see it.  The bulbs that were in there appear to be a grab bag of all different types.  My question is, can anyone recommend what light bulbs I should use in there?  I cannot use the stock as the car has been converted to 12 volts.  The bulbs seem to blink ok as long as the headlights are not on, however when the headlights are on, they blink so faintly I am afraid I would get into an accident as other motorist did not see them blinking.  Can anyone point me in the direction where I can find the correct replacement bulbs for my turn signals as possibly tag light?  Thanks for any help you can give me.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 09/08/12
08:05 AM

you have a GROUND issue...

the contacts at the base of the lamp are only half the circuit...  the shell of the turn signal lights needs to be hooked up to ground also..

if you don't have a good ground...    when you turn on something that draws a little power.. the bulb may glow dimly.. as there might be enough contact to allow enough electrons to flow to light up the bulb...

when you turn on additional lamps...   there will not be enough electrons to create enough heat to light up the bulb...

i don't know if your car has a Negative ground.. or a positive ground..

but which ever you have...   you are going to need to verify the ground connection.

you can use length of wire from which ever side of the battery is grounded..    wrap  or touch the other end to the side of the turn signal bulb..  see if it starts working again..

if you have a digital volt meter.. its even easier to test...

turn on the lights that are effected...     set your digital volt meter to 20 volts DC... touch one probe to the light bulb sleeve..  touch the other to the engine block ... if you get more than 0.04 volts.. you have a ground problem..

think of a bad ground. as a KINK in your garden hose...    if you only open the nozzle a little.. you will get a little water at high pressure.. but if you open the nozzle all the way...   you just get a trickle of water... not nearly enough to put out the fire thats burning..   fix the kink.. you get full flow..

clean your ground connections...

battery to engine
battery to body
ENGINE TO BODY...
body to frame..
are the first places to clean or and verify..

you can use the voltage drop method of testing with a volt meter on either side of the circuit..

activate the circuit.. so there is a load and power...    measure from the battery to the device with your volt meter... on the same side of the circuit..  if you measure more than about 0.04 volts.. you have an issue..