Ford v-6 SHO conversion

Street Rodder
Item Posts    Sort Order

Ford v-6 SHO conversion

captainmvh.43 captainmvh.43
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/13/12
10:42 PM

I have a 1930 Model A pick-up street rod w/ a 4.3 GM v6 and GM 700 auto tranny, looks and runs great, but I am looking into installing a Ford V6 SHO with an AOD trans.  Will be switching the SHO from FWD to rear wheel drive. I understand several Ranger pick-ups were built using the SHO, but with T-5 trans.   I understand the Vulcan/aerostar AOD will bolt to the SHO, question is relating to motor mounts for the SHO for the rear wheel operation.  How did the factory provide this option for the Rangers?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 12/14/12
06:28 PM

there is a bunch of research... did you see the ford SHO wikipedia site..

how good are you at automotive electronics.???

do you want more power.. which of the 4.3V6 motors do you have??? which heads.. you might be better off with some vortec heads or even some aftermarket heads... there are 4 barrel and TBI intakes for the 4.3 v6 vortec heads...

what you are discussing is not a simple project... as ford electronics are NOT user friendly..

and... can you find a SHO taurus that is not completely worn out...  or are you planning on rebuilding it... or hot rodding it... seems people swap the 3.0 sho cams into the 3.2 SHO motors for even more power

.. but i am not an SHO expert... i do electronics and fuel injection diagnostics...

if you are budgeting ... you will want to make sure that you have a PC laptop with a 9 pin serial port... older laptops will work...  and right around 500 bucks for a EEC4 diagnostic tool..   take a look at the EEC4 real time data logger from racesystems dot com...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 12/14/12
06:56 PM

how hard would it be to duplicate the engine compartment sections of the frame rails and back to the transmission crossmember...  put it on locking caster wheels.. create a sheet metal firewall and transmission tunnel.. so you can duplicate the installation needs of this swap... be able to fit everything to the replica.... saving time...

this is just an idea.. to ease the swap headaches...  

captainmvh.43 captainmvh.43
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 02/10/13
07:43 PM

Thanks for the info.  I previously researched the wikipedia site - good info.  Found an article "how to install a V-6 SHO in a Model -A."    Found/bought a 1993 3.2 v-6  good engine  150K  in a front wreck , no damage to engine, checks out fine so no rebuild necessary.  Want the looks, not the power, so will leave stock cams in the 93 engine. Will use a 93 areostar AOD trans/bellhousing.   Can do install, but am intimidated by the electronics.  Does the racesystems.com site explain the minimum necessary needed electronic connections?   I Do not want a large wiring harness visible.  Do not want a carb on the engine, as the "snake" intake is the real beauty of the SHO.  Found several articles on SHO in older Fords, so it is possible.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 02/10/13
09:41 PM

invest in a proper ford electrical shop manual section  the ford drivability manual if that is what is available for the 93...

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/Search.aspx?c=113886

you can also take out a subscription to eautorepair dot net..  they will have everything the factory manual has.. online..  you can get a short subscription of a few days to i think 4 years..  for not that much money.. you can also save some of the sections if you push PRINT and then save as PDF or save as PS..

you will need to spend several days/weeks with a clear head at this site.. it covers eec4 systems rather well...

http://oldfuelinjection.com/

at 150K... on any ford V6 motor... if i had the time with the engine on a stand... i would rip the intake and heads off and carefully clean and inspect the decks for warpage...   order a tube of hylomar from permatex... new head gaskets and head bolts ... i use a hyde 5 way painters tool that i keep razor sharp with a 180 grit diamond file.. to clean the surfaces without digging in..    ford head gaskets on V6 motors rarely make it much more than 150K.. sorry.. i don't know if yamaha who designed the heads came up with better versions.    you will also want to  create a safe spot in your car to store a spare ignition module.. so you can swap it if it fails..

you will need to study every circuit to the computer..   spend some time in word with the art tool bar and colorize a wiring diagram from end to end for the engine controls so you know each circuit and what it does...

there are only 60 pins on the EEC4 computer..  is your sho computer from an automatic car that uses the computer to control the transmission or from a manual transmission version???  makes a difference in how its wired up..

you will also need to study the differences between the front wheel drive transmission electronics and the rear wheel drive electronics...  speed sensors, manual lever position sensor..  

you see why i said.. build a firewall and frame rail mockup... so you can work on it at reasonable height..

i have not delved into SHO electronic differences from the conventional 3.0 taurus electronics and 3.8 electronics that i am familiar with..    i guess i may have to dig the drivability manuals out.. once you come up with more questions..

it might be fairly easy to hook this up..  or it might be a nightmare.  i will be around to assist in turning the second into the first..