wheel spacer opinions

Street Rodder
Item Posts    Sort Order

wheel spacer opinions

dreambig dreambig
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/15/13
08:30 AM

Hellow everyone,I cant believe I never knew about this site/form before,wish I would've seen it b4.Better late then never I guess.Anyways I am trying to get some wheels on my 54 belair and all the bulk wheels sold for the most part have different backspacing then what I need.So I either use wheel spacers which I dont really like or change the rear end which I dont want to do right now.So without get polished more expensive 2,3 piece wheels made to fit what else do I do?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 03/21/13
11:41 AM

there are wheel shops that can move the center in or outward on the wheel outer..

they cut the welds  on a lathe.. and usually use a new outer..  press them into the proper depth and then weld them in place..

this has been done for years to change wheel widths or offsets.. within reason..  

pepsi1 pepsi1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/25/13
07:27 AM

Yeah the Good wheels are reinforced at the hub. I would look in that area for reinforcing. Thats where the load was when they made hard turns. My dad raced the old Jalopy's back in his day. We found a lot of his stuff when he died.
  Even back in the day when drag racing was in its infancy they made wheels like this.

Bob