1946 Chevy grille

Street Rodder
Item Posts    Sort Order

1946 Chevy grille

turbota400 turbota400
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 06/22/14
06:45 AM

I have a 1946 Chevy truck I am working on.  Does anyone have any tips on the best way to straighten the grille?  It doesn't have anyhuge dents in it but several smaller ones.  I am hoping to send it in to get re-chromed.  I read an article that meantioned using Cerro-bend, anybody have any experiemce with this stuff?  Any help would be greatly apppreciated.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 11/13
01:57 PM

thats an interesting thought...

do you have access to a perfect original to make a press piece from???

perhaps i am thinking about it wrong.. perhaps some kind of clamp faced with this material to squeeze the dents out of the grill..

or even a flat block of it..  and a hammer head made or a tool faced with it.. so you could lay the grill on it. and lightly tap the back surface with it .. to smooth the metal..

i have.. many many years ago.. visited a stainless steel trim straightening shop..

he was an artist in it.. did it for the 50s thru mid 60s caddys the restoration shop worked on..    he had something like a manual brake shoe riveting press with custom tools and various adjustable supports to gently press the dents out.. then sanding drums on big polisher motors and more polishers to allow him to really get it perfect and shiny.. yes.. he removed the thickness of the metal slightly.. but it was beautiful to see the finished work..

could you create something like this bench mounted transmission clutch press

Transmissionbenchclutchpress Zps3671ee18

or the floor mounted version..

Transmissionfloorclutchpress Zpsc4d78006

the floor mounted version could be thrown together out of 2x4s and 4x4s.. with only a few bolts and springs and deck screws.. instead of nails so you could take it back apart when done..  kinda like a trebuchet which is what you will tell the family you are working on when they ask what you are doing..

talk to the chrome plating shop.. about the process..

here is a decent video on stripping and the process to replating..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llTow-Eau7U

you will have to copy and paste the link.

please pay attention to the edges and the back of the grill..  so you get the whole thing properly cleaned.. so you can completely coat the entire grill properly..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 11/13
02:11 PM

here is a direct link to that video...

http://youtu.be/llTow-Eau7U

there are a LOT of steps involved..

and be sure that you take pictures of EVERY individual part you are taking to the chrome shop.. just to keep a better idea of what you are leaving them with. and whats coming back..